You can't scrapbook very well without certain supplies. It's more than just photos and some paper.
• Albums come mostly in 8.5"x11" or 12"x12" sizes, but you can find others. Most scrapbooking albums allow you to add pages where and when you need to.
• Sheet protectors help to keep your photos and pages in good condition.
• Scissors come in a variety of shapes. You can get regular scissors - ones for everyday use - or fancy scissors with cutting patterns.
• Paper trimmers are nice for easily and accurately slicing paper.
• Adhesives come in a variety of styles. You can use glue sticks just fine, or pick up some photo tabs to stick photos to paper without mess.
• Paper can come in different sizes, patterns, and styles. I would suggest you start by buying, what is called, a "paper pack." These come with several different styles of paper and most are coordinated as well.
• Journaling tools can be colored pens or just black, or use a computer in place of handwriting.
• Photos are the one essential to a scrapbook. Without them, you don't have much.
Of course, there are many more scrapbooking supplies to use, like embellishments and stickers. THese listed are just the fundamentals needed to get you going. You can always add to your "stash" as time goes by or as things go on sale.